We are looking for an experienced web developer to work on a range of Django projects for our clients. As well as writing code, the role involves working directly with clients to clarify scope and requirements, delegating tasks to other team members.
You don’t need to be a Django expert, but you need to be comfortable becoming one, so solid experience with backend technologies is pretty essential. We’re looking for an all-rounder who is keen to learn new skills and try things out.
Initially, while you get settled, you would be focused on maintaining existing projects. As you get comfortable with the role, we would expect you to start taking on new small to medium builds independently.
You would also be involved in larger projects – collaborating with other experienced developers. While we have established ways of doing things, we’re always interested in exploring new tech, tools and approaches and we’re very open to learning from your experience. All developers have the opportunity to lead change in developer practice.
The compensation for this role is $90-120K (depending on your experience and awesomeness) plus super and an annual profit bonus (depending on our shared success in a given year). We review salaries regularly.
These are things we’d expect you to be able to do once, you’ve had some time to settle in:
- Application development in Python using Django with Postgres
- Deployment to AWS using Docker (we have existing systems to do mostly automate this, but you need to become familiar with and use them)
- Managing work from clients and follow up with other team members
- Staying aware of project budgets, managing your own time
- Work with support from one of the Principals
- Delegate work to other Juniors and other Seniors – salaried staff and contractors
- 4-5 years experience building software with web frameworks like Django, Rails or Laravel. Be prepared to work in Django – either because you know it or because you can pick it up quickly.
- Strong work ethic to deliver client requirements
- Self-directed learner – keen to learn, willing to try things out
- Experience handling some clients projects on your own – either in a company or as a freelancer – communicating with the client, managing your time, monitoring budgets
- From experience, we work better with people we can spend some time with, so our ideal person would be in Sydney, but anyone in Australia or New Zealand would work just fine.
Nice to have
Any of the following are desirable and would be great things to mention:
- A computer science or related degree (but some great developers don’t)
- We do everything macOS or Linux, so experience with a Unix-style OS and working with shell commands is helpful
- Knowledge of React, Vue or another modern front-end framework
- Experience with Docker, AWS and automated deployment
- Experience with styling in CSS
- Open source project contributions
We have practiced flexible work for years before COVID. Many staff work mostly from home or remotely. We work flexible hours – though we try to stick to core hours of 10am to 4pm, Sydney time – and if parenting, family or health issues mean you need a flexible day from time to time, we just adjust.
Our people are a mix of full-time and part-time salaried and long-term contractors with flexible arrangements. We have staff all over Australia and in a few other countries.
In general, if you need to change your working arrangements, we say yes unless we have a good reason to say no.
In addition to standard leave, we give everyone a day off for their birthday and we give salaried staff an extra day of vacation leave for each year they work with us.
Starting this year, all salaried staff get an annual bonus based on the company profit for the last financial year.
We have a yoga teacher who tailors a class for us in the office on Thursdays and they are happy to include remote staff who dial in by video. We have a company GoGet membership for staff to use.
Whether you work remotely, from home or on-site, you have access to the IC Sydney office in Chippendale when you’re in town. Located on the top floor, the office has great views of the neighbourhood and of some spectacular sunsets. On sunny days people sometimes work outside on our balcony and some days our founder cooks a barbecue breakfast.
We provide big screens and comfortable chairs. Though the office is open plan, there are various places in the office to take private calls, to relax and read or to have a quiet conversation.
The office has a decent espresso machine and we provide beans (and biscuits), but we’re walking distance from so much good coffee, we often forget. Zomato lists 112 eateries in Chippendale – Spice Alley, Central Park, local favourites like Cafe Giulia or Bibim Bar. Walking distance to lots of food in Redfern or Broadway. So one of the stresses in working with us is deciding where to go for lunch.
The office is an 8 minute walk from Redfern Station, a 12 minute walk from Central Station, 4 minutes from buses on Cleveland Street and 8 minutes from buses on Broadway.
To apply, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following:
- a cover letter introducing yourself,
- a recent CV, and
- some sample code or a github link that shows us your approach to solving a problem
There is an initial screening round where we shortlist potential candidates.
We will get in touch to arrange an interview to find out more about you and answer questions about the job and the company.
We will very likely arrange a second interview with different staff to gather different impressions.
The successful applicant(s) will be informed shortly after. We also inform every other applicant of the outcome of the process.